Life can be overwhelming at times.
Nourishing activities are essential to your well-being. There always seems to be someone or something that needs our attention. Most of us have long lists of to do’s and obligations that can feel urgent and pressing.
Whether it's upkeep around the home, or problems still on your mind from work, sometimes it can be difficult to think about taking even just 5 minutes for ourselves.
We are all looking for ways to slow down. Making ourselves a priority is truly a necessity, so now would be a great time to start introducing nourishing activities into our day to day life.
Most refer to this as self care, but I like to call them nourishing activities because these practices seem to deliver to your body what it needs to function more effectively. So what is the meaning of nourishing?
Promoting strength or growth; nutritious: as, a nourishing diet.
Synonyms Strengthening, invigorating, wholesome.
Getting started can be the hardest part. Once we create a habit and build it into our routine, it will be easier to keep moving forward.
With that, nourishing activities can truly look different for everyone. What are you trying to achieve? Maybe a sense of peace and contentment for your body, a time when you can recharge your batteries, so to speak.
This time to yourself doesn't have to just mean face masks and bubble-baths (although it definitely can!) It can also mean doing activities that bring you into the present moment, spark your creativity and nourish your soul.
Taking this time allows you to receive the necessary rest and rejuvenation and thus makes you more effective in your life endeavors overall.
Here are 20 Nourishing Activities to get you started:
- Sit in a quiet space and journal whatever is on your mind at the moment
- Read an uplifting book or listen to an interesting/motivating podcast
- Spend time with animals; your own, a friends, or volunteer at a shelter
- Take a hot bath, complete with bath bombs, salts, oils, candles, bubbles; whatever you prefer
- Paint, draw, or just color in a coloring book
- Try a new craft project
- Try a new dinner recipe
- Play a board game
- Bake your favorite treat
- Put a puzzle together
- Do some stretches or a yoga sequence
- Start a scrapbook
- Walk in nature or plan a day hike
- Treat yourself to a face mask
- Sit quietly with a cup of tea and just be still for a while
- Try starting a small herb garden (even just on your kitchen counter!) A tomato plant or sprouts are nice options, too!
- Call or reach out to a friend or loved one, maybe even write and snail mail them a letter
- Light a relaxing candle and/or put on some essential oils, sit and breathe deep belly breaths for at least 15 minutes
- Sit with a pad of paper and make some lists (to-dos, gratitude, things you've accomplished, bucket lists, etc.)
- Listen to your favorite music, or try relaxing to some ambient sounds or a piano solo
I hope you were able to find some inspiration from this list of nourishing activities. The important thing is to get you started on a regular self care routine of your own.
If you could add a few items to this list, what would they be? What are some ways you like to nourish your body and soul?
What activities make you lose track of time, worries and concerns- and just come completely into the present moment? What activities spark joy and a childlike nature within you?
About The Author
Krissy is a part-time blogger who writes on a variety of topics including: health & fitness, mindful living, interior design, fashion, and travel.